PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF pulls the plug on international flights to March 2021
Old 10th Jul 2020, 13:02
Radgirl

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
A vaccine for COVID may certainly never eventuate.

However, it's likely that a few therapeutics will be found that can save lives, allowing the world to return to how it was. There are many promising late-stage trials of stem cell therapies that reverse damage from COVID-associated acute respiratory distress syndrome (this is the killer). These are far more advanced than any vaccine candidates.
I would love a PM with details of these advanced trials StickShift3000. Stem cells are very sexy. The commonest phrase in published medical papers for a decade. The number of internationally approved stem cell treatments? Nil.

I await details with an open mind but until then I am skeptical. Antibody infusions seem to help but dont prevent hospital admission. Vaccines are highly likely to work given the wide range of methods in over 220 trials. We have vaccines with a known safe dose in P2 studies which do produce antibodies. That is close. The question is when.....