PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPE or not PPE
Thread: PPE or not PPE
View Single Post
Old 7th Jul 2020, 16:37
Herschel Krustofski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shorehamite
The other day i was at an airfield where the student was wearing a mask, the instructor was wearing a mask , goggles and a Tecnam mask and gloves.
I am I reading this correctly? Mask, gloves and tecnam mask? This seems uncomfortable at the least, questionable, in terms of being able to communicate, or even positively dangerous.

I asked a family member who genuinely works on the front line in the NHS about PPE in a clinical settings. Gloves are not routinely warn as they INCREASE the risk of transmission. They are used when dealing with bodily fluids. Simple hand-washing is the correct routine procedure.

As for getting advice from "health professionals", I remain sceptical. Healthcare professionals use, but may have no expert knowledge of PPE effectiveness. Similar to asking an airline pilot about the fire protection system on an airliner. He will be able to give you an overview, but he will have no expert knowledge on how the science of extinguisher chemically reacts or how the system is engineered. He is a pilot, not a chemist or a fire engineer.

Surely information should come from virologist who have studied PPE? At the moment there is very little scientific evidence to support the use of PPE in non clinical settings. It is worth noting that masks are primarily there to reduce the risk of bacterial infections to patients. Remember viruses are far smaller and can pass freely through the majority of masks.

Why are schools taking temperatures? The risk of the SARS CoV2 virus is that its carriers can remain asymptomatic. Surely if a pupil has a temperature they should not be at the school? That is their responsibility to be fit to fly. That is no different if the person has flu or covid19. If the individual cannot be trusted then it follows that the individual temperature should have always been taken, even during flu season. Remember flu is far more harmful to a wider group of people in terms of age than covid 19 appears to be.

Finally, if after all that, you deem it appropriate to mandate this level of ppe, do it properly. In other words all ppe users need to be correctly trained in its use (I was reading some ppe protocol documents today, and they ran to 11 pages). The correct procedure for disposing of clincal waste needs to be implemented. And the correct medically approved ppe should be provide and replaced regularly. If you cross contaminate you will have to replace your ppe.

I spoke to someone wearing a mask today. Over a short conversation he touched his mask 5 times, and yet failed to replace it.

It seems like a lot of people are making stuff up on the spot. Use ppe by all means, but use it safely and correctly or it becomes valueless or more harmful.

If this seems too difficult use common sense. Do not go to the school if you feel unwell. Wash your hands regularly and correctly.