PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - France and Germany to push ahead with new joint MPA
Old 7th Jul 2020, 14:07
exhorder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by keesje
Hi exhorder, what is your name on airliners.net? I / we don't know.

As you say I posted this concept more then a decade ago at pprune, during the Nimrod NG discussions and I think a new design is becoming more and more likely.
During the week-end I digged up the old file, I reviewed the old concept and concluded fuel capacity was to low, wing loading too high & I included low risk, existing props, the TP400's.
A concept which has no connection whatsoever with reality. The planned ISD for the new MPA is 2035, which is rather ambitious if you want a clean-sheet airframe. In addition, we are talking about a very limited market here, making a clean sheet even less appealing. France and Germany would maybe buy 40 to 50 aircraft between them. The rest of Western Europe, MPA-wise, has more or less gone all P-8. Export chances beyond that are rather slim as well, considering the small market and tough competition from Boeing, existing C-295/ATR72-based aircraft and P-3 refurbishments, among others.

Why you included a picture of the two planes, adding nothing to the discussion at hand, is beyond me, but that is your usual MO at airliners as well. By the way, I don't have an account there, I just occasionally browse through some forum discussions.

Last year I talked to people who were with a P1 when it visited Paris. It's a totally Japanese project and even basic communication is a challenge.
An European order seems really far sought, exhorder.
If we are talking about the P-1 "as is", I totally agree. However, during their visits to Paris, Berlin and Nordholz in 2018, the Japanese proposed the P-1 airframe as the base for a "Europeanized" variant, essentially offering to provide the complete blueprints and most of the source codes as well. Whether such an aircraft would fit the bill is to be seen, however, I would not completely rule it out.

A European platform is becoming much more likely, the operational requirements changed during the last decades.
Also I doubt a 737 / A320 or C295 based platform meets the requirements for replacing Atlantiques, Orions.
Do you know these requirements in detail? What can be gathered from German official documents, at least, almost screams "Poseidon". A320 and P-1-based aircraft could fit that description, as well. Slower, low-flying turboprops are, at best, a possible stop-gap for the upcoming replacement of the P-3C fleet.