PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What would this be classified as?
View Single Post
Old 5th Jul 2020, 15:25
capngrog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know how this aircraft would be classified in Italy, where it lives, but in the U.S., it would be generally classed as a rotorcraft-helicopter. I'm sure that other sub classes would be applied, such as ultra light, multi-engine (motor?), land, etc., but I have no idea as to its ultimate classification. Whatever class it would fit into, the subject helicopter appears to have been well designed and well built; however, I think that I'd come up with a better method of securing the transmitter than just a neck strap. The pilot would be in a bit of a pickle if he dropped his transmitter.

It looks like the control system is typical of R/C (Radio-Controlled) multi-rotor "drones", only applied to a much larger, man-carrying aircraft. If that is the case, the programming would include such automatic features as "return to home", auto stability etc., which would enhance safety. The control system, being "fly-by-wireless", could be susceptible to sophisticated jamming techniques

Regardless of its possible classification, it looks like a lot of fun, requiring little more skill than driving the average automobile. Finally, a "flying car" for "Everyman"! I foresee swarms of these craft clogging our highways, byways and skyways in the near future ... it could be entertaining.

Cheers,
Grog