PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airlines stop serving alcohol
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:43
Twitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Harry Wayfarers
Many years ago after my retired parents had returned from a holiday I enquired of my mother how their flight had been and all my mother could remark upon was that the meal hadn't been very good, that is how many of the general public rate a flight, by the in-flight service, and for such a reason my favoured European airline is Swiss whilst, since they reduced the sizes of their beers from 330ml to 250ml, I would do my utmost to avoid the likes of KLM and Lufthansa, indeed at one point KLM stopped serving alcohol in European economy class to be inundated with so many complaints they reintroduced it and pretty damn quickly.

I recall when The Netherlands introduced the law of no smoking in all public buildings, Schiphol Airport lost so many passengers that Schiphol reintroduced smoking in designated areas in contravention of the national law.

In my location now one local airline, PAL Express, on their DHC8's they don't even have the facility on board to heat water and their idea of their advertised 'light snack' is a 330ml bottle of lukewarm water and, in a country that is addicted to sugar, a sticky bun or cake, regardless that the service is excrement I don't take sugar so will only utilise this airline for the shortest of hops whilst preferring to utilise a LoCo where at least I can buy a sandwich and a hot or cold drink.

Once on board the crew should be able to control passenger drinking but so often the problem has been passengers getting sh1tfaced in the terminal before boarding, who recalls the TV airport programmes where late passengers were regularly being hauled out of the airport bars.

I can't envisage that the LoCo's and others are going to stop serving food and drink, after all this is how the LoCo's make their money, this could be just a cost saving exercise much the same as when KLM and Lufthansa, to name but two, economised by reducing the sizes of their beers, all passengers are likely to do is, as I myself do, shop around for which airlines offer the better in-flight service.
As a matter of fact, low cost carriers don’t make their money by selling alcohol - in fact to begin with, easyJet contracted its catering out to a third party - which compensated by, amongst other things, providing the on board magazine.