PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West Atlantic ATP runway excursion in Birmingham
Old 20th Jun 2020, 21:23
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by beamer
..... Like others I don't like the expression 'kicking the rudder' when applied to the operation of medium to large transport aircraft (or any aircraft at all for that matter!!!!). It may be a question of semantics but it could lead to misconceptions as was evidenced by the Airbus that lost its fin and rudder in NY just after 9/11.
Adjusted that for you beamer - hope you don't mind! The only person permitted to treat their aircraft in that manner was, in my opinion, of course, https://giphy.com/gifs/blackadder-go...-xtSYruVOOVou4 (with thanks to the BBC and the Blackadder team!). Honestly, those who use the saying are just that - Lord Flashhearts!

"Apply sufficient rudder pressure to smoothly bring the nose of the aircraft round to where you want it..." - just like any other control! Simples!!!!

Doing my IR training - textbook x-wind landing. Instructor on roll-out "H 'n' H, you are utterly hopeless on Instruments - but I'll give you your due, I couldn't do better on that landing myself!!!" Not sure that much changed!!!!!!!