PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West Atlantic ATP runway excursion in Birmingham
Old 20th Jun 2020, 12:31
ehwatezedoing
Drain Bamaged

Received 35 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by meleagertoo
I'd certainly call that a contol failure. As in a failure to control.
Hard to tell in the first vid but in the second as they are departing the centreline there is not only no sign of right rudder at all but a brief stab of left rudder (!!) as the left main gear lifts off but that's accompanied and followed by a protracted period of right-roll aileron - ie further lifting the flying port wing that continues as they stabilise parallel to the runway, but the swing reoccurs briefly as the large left aileron input remains in place and the port gear becomes unweighted again.. It's almost as though the crossed controls got crossed!
No wonder the swing and wing-lift immediately got worse after touchdown.
I saw that too, the right aileron input while the aircraft was going left and I think I know why.
As incredibly as it sounds, it's a classic (rookie!?) mistake of "driving" your aircraft once on the ground instead of keep flying it.
Aka literally using your yoke as a steering wheel like a car!

Don't laugh, I saw it happen a few times on Turbo Dak where the guy usually overwhelmed would do exactly that, start "driving it" trying to recover his yaw while the two mains are on the ground. Forgetting his rudder and everything else in the process... Which turns ugly and has the exact opposite effect intended.

To talk about the DC3T, your downward big sized aileron will pretty much act like an airbrake. Using your yoke the opposite way you want your aircraft going is actually a technic used to keep it centred during gusty crosswind landings. Depending on conditions, your ailerons can have as much power on steering than your rudder.

It takes some practice master it.