PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West Atlantic ATP runway excursion in Birmingham
Old 20th Jun 2020, 08:36
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
....and yes, a strong crosswind at BHX can be very challenging because of the sometimes very strong turbulence created by the hangars upwind of the crosswind.
Yes, especially on approach to RWY15. Good fun though, and an excellent place to practise and refine your crosswind landing technique.

That hump in the runway was in the worst place on RWY33 - I haven't landed there since they extended the runway, but from memory the hump used to be just around where you would touch down, so it was an extra challenge after coping with a turbulent crosswind approach.

Regarding controls after landing: Many years ago the local flying club used to hold full elevator up after landing C152's on its grass runway. This was to protect the delicate nose-wheel on the rough surface and give a bit of "aerodynamic braking" apparently. But one day an aircraft, slowing down on roll-out suddenly got airborne again owing to a strong gust and the full elevator-up. It got up to about 12' with no airspeed and crashed back down. The nose-gear collapsed and the prop drove into the ground. The two occupants were shaken but not hurt. I know because I helped wheel the broken aircraft across the airfield back to the hangar.

Last edited by Uplinker; 20th Jun 2020 at 08:57.