PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West Atlantic ATP runway excursion in Birmingham
Old 19th Jun 2020, 10:45
parkfell

de minimus non curat lex

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pontifex
......... On return to UK "kick off drift" was the RAF order of the day and QFIs insisted on it. I, even then, considered wing down preferable but sensibly did the latter. However, I never forgot the former.........Sorry to have gone on at such length but this is my lifelong hobby horse.
I learnt to fly (PPL) in 1972 at Carlisle where Oxford had their northern base. I remember trying to “kick off the drift” from crabbing it in as well. Lack of experience etc. I found it hard and not very successful!

Fortunately All Nippon Airways (ANA) were training at Carlisle under some hybrid FAA style syllabus. Japanese examiners would sit in the back of PA30/39 on their IRTs.

They were taught ‘wing down technique’ where you went cross controls probably after passing 500’ QFE. Held that during the flare, to centralise on touchdown. So much easier for me to do. Confidence grew.

So later in life when crabbing it in was required, going cross control as you started the flare was a piece of cake.

I remember seeing on TV, NIMROD crosswind trials at Lossiemouth/Kinloss (?) 50-60 knots across. Not exactly pretty but it worked.

When I am feeling brave I will demonstrate to MPL students crosswind landings in the B737-800 sim. They train to 30 kts.
Start at 30 knots x/w. Increasing each time.
I stop at 60 knots x/w. Quite a handful with max control deflection required.
Good confidence building exercise in case that 10 to the minus X event occurs and no other bolt holes exist.

Learnt about max control deflection flying the Shorts 360 in Scotland with 30 knot limit.
Again, not at all pretty.

My other pet topic is TRIMMING....

Last edited by parkfell; 19th Jun 2020 at 16:55. Reason: Insert SH360