PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Forces Snowbirds CT-114 down in British Columbia
Old 16th Jun 2020, 15:39
212man

Received 334 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by cncpc
Thanks for taking the time, Bob.

Do you think the brief would include a return to the button of 22? That is an easier (less turning) option than trying to get round to the main runway, isn't it?

Can you give a little insight into the actual process by which a bird going into an intake causes engine problems. I know it does, but not sure of the exact mechanism, or mechanisms. I know that it goes back and into the compressor. From there? Does that lead to a visible flame from the tailpipe?

The pilot certainly acted quickly. It was less than two seconds between bang and starting the zoom.

As for your last sentence, it raises a good point. I've gone over the video and I don't notice any increased separation between the lead and Capt. MacDougall's aircraft following the bang and before the zoom. Too short a time frame for it to be noticeable?
Here is quite a good example of what a bird ingestion can do to a large turbofan - it illustrates the surging Bob talks about: