PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian Overflights by RAF Crews during the "Cold War"
Old 14th Jun 2020, 20:15
MikeeB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackonicko
That does make sense. Was he an AEOp or Signaller, by any chance? Or a Nav?
Spoke with him today, he was an Aeroplane Photographer(?). Said he originally worked on Canberra PR7's(?) and was based at both Bruggen and Laarbruch, or at least that's what I thought he said. His next sentence was, "I'm sure they used to fly over Russia". After that he moved to worked on Shackletons based at Kilnloss and seemed to get onboard flights a lot. He mentioned Ballykelly was a regular stop, and said flying at very low level over sea was not a comfortable time. He then said something about they used to lower a device out the bottom of the Shacks and one day the pilot went that low, it hit the sea. They used to fly around quite a lot on 'training exercises', so they spent time in Malta and Cyprus, which he said was a 10 hour flight? They also flew in to Gatow and he visited before the wall went up - he also said the place was still in ruins.

One of the officers had his own Tiger Moth, so he got a flight in that one day, said it was the best thing he ever flew in whilst in the RAF.

I'll ask some more next time I go round more for my own interest than anything else, but if anyone has any specific questions based on the above, please let me know.

Regards