PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Forces Snowbirds CT-114 down in British Columbia
Old 11th Jun 2020, 03:23
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
cncpc

In answer to your previous question, it is hard to say for certain.

A pre-take off emergency brief will usually cover warning captions and loss of thrust. We wouldn’t necessarily expect a ‘bang’ with no other warnings or indications.

I think it’s fair to say though that any audible bang would lead your brain to bird strike almost immediately (they may have seen the bird and it now seems likely that a bird was the problem). If that bird went down the engine then the bang would probably have been followed, almost simultaneously, by a rapid increase in engine temperature and associated warnings. A bird strike anywhere else on the airframe could be diagnosed as such pretty quickly due to lack of abnormal engine indications.

In any of the above situations my first instinct would be to get away from the leader. That would definitely involve some upwards movement and also a little lateral movement.

On my aircraft the lateral movement would just be enough to be clear of the lead (remember you would be naturally decelerating so separation is already achieved) and would not involve any sort of turn back towards a reciprocal runway until 280-300 knots had been reached. I cannot speak for what that speed would be in a Tutor.

BV