PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HMS Glorious & Operation Paul
View Single Post
Old 10th Jun 2020, 10:58
Union Jack

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ASRAAMTOO
Thanks ORAC

So the JB Heath listed on that site is the same one. Wonder why there is no mention of HMS Glorious on his record. As far as I can see he is shown as Air Materiel Dept, Admiralty, HMS President.
Some more background will be found on this webpage, interestingly enough also excluding any reference to GLORIOUS:

https://www.unithistories.com/office...fficersH4.html

Originally Posted by SLXOwft
Oxenos,

VAdml.later Adml. Wells subsequent career was hardly stellar. Though to be fair he received a MID (6/1/42) for “coolness & resource in Home Fleet operations, esp. Norwegian waters”
A very illuminating and helpful post from SLXO and, whilst the relevant entry on the attached link does indeed suggest that Admiral Wells's subsequent appointments appear *relatively* low profile, it would be very interesting to know what lay behind the entry "01.10.1940 - 06.01.1942 HMS President (additional; for unemployed time)" - medical reasons perhaps?:
https://www.unithistories.com/office...fficersW3.html

All this notwithstanding, he did end up with a KCB in 1943, and as a full Admiral shortly before retirement, and I also note with interest the additional detail that retirement was apparently "at his own request to facilitate the promotion of younger officers" and his subsequent readiness to serve in the rank of Captain in his final appointment, before final retirement and reversion to his full rank.

Whilst writing, may I point out that, contrary to Post No 16, SCHARNHORST and GNEISENAU were not pocket battleships but significantly, especially in the circumstances under discussion, more powerful battlecruisers or battleships of the ERZATZ Class, depending on one's interpretation of the Kriegsmarine term "Panzerschiff".

Jack