PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways
Thread: British Airways
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2020, 17:49
Cloud1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yeehaw22
I think BA are acting despicably during this crisis. But, they are making a valid point. The quarantine is a nonsense that if left unchallenged will ruin the industry. Not once have the government offered any justification as to why now. The home Secretary has been asked directly numerous occasions this week and point blank refused to give any scientific backup to this circus of a quarantine.
The government are chasing their tail all the time and this late quarantine measure is another example. They also are not innocent in the BA restructuring either. They made it very clear that they wouldn’t offer state aid or any packages unless an airline can evidence they have done everything to reduce their costs. Arguably that is what BA are doing whether we like it or not.

The cabin crew pay grades at BA vary significantly and I am not sure how they compare to other airlines in a similar market (I.e Full service mixed cabins long haul and buy on board shorthaul). Those high salaries and agreements at BA have developed over time and is likely to be cost that cannot be sustained in the short to medium term. The problem is though that it is what individuals are use to and factor in, in lifestyle, living arrangements and bills etc. So any cuts will of course be a big blow and take a large hit to those impacted as would be expected.

What I would like to understand better is what the proposed terms and condition changes are, and what costs would be sustained (and subsequent impact) over the next 2 years if these changes are not made. Unfortunately it seems the Unions are spending too much time in the media and publicising BA adversely rather than sitting down and laying out what compromises could be made to either reduce the proposed redundancies or maintain other benefits / conditions. That’s certainly the impression I’m getting from watching various interviews with the union and WW on the news channels.