PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Forces Snowbirds CT-114 down in British Columbia
Old 3rd Jun 2020, 19:43
cncpc

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Viking
Please re read what you wrote. You said “I understand she was not aircrew but she was a pilot”.

Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

Capt Casey was the PRO. She had no formal flying training and could not have been expected to contribute in any way to the operation of the aircraft.

It’s a tangent I know but don’t make untrue statements or assumptions.

BV
It has been reported that she was a pilot, I assume in the civilian world. My original comment, which was not intended to end up in this fashion, had to do with Capt. MacDougall being solely engaged with watching lead's left wing. It had to do with the initiating event and the possibility that if that event first registered on engine instruments, he likely wouldn't have seen that. Because he is fixated on the other aircraft. I suggested Capt. Casey might have seen something unusual. It was less than 3 seconds from the bang sound to initiating the zoom, so it is more likely that was the alert that triggered the zoom. I don't know what the RCAF equivalent of silent cockpit rules are, but if they have them, I doubt they preclude another service member in the cockpit from alerting the pilot to an anomoly. If she had noticed smoke coming from a vent, surely she would be expected to notify the pilot.

I don't knowingly make untrue statements or assumptions. If you think passengers don't let you know when they think something is wrong, you've never flown with BC Forest Service folks in the other seat, or anywhere they can see the instruments.

In this case, the pilot would know either from seeing the bird, hearing the bang, or both.

As to the statements being mutually exclusive, they obviously aren't. She wasn't a Snowbird pilot, true. I'm a pilot, and when I fly on Westjet, I'm not aircrew, but I'm still a pilot.

Last edited by cncpc; 3rd Jun 2020 at 19:46. Reason: adding something after reading Bob's post