PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Box Hill TAFE drops Aviation Diploma
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jun 2020, 08:14
Ixixly

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by outnabout
Ixixly, I have never heard of a flying school telling a student who has financial resources that the student should consider another career.

I have sat in the RHS of a few CPLs who definitely should have been told their chosen career should not involve aviation.

There are some flying schools that the boss will not hire from for these reasons.

It should also be a criminal offence for flying schools to tell young hopefuls that "of course" they will walk into a job on graduation..but just to help them get a competitive edge, they need to spend a bit more money, and get a MECIR, or a NVFR, or do ATPLs or.....

<insert vomit emoji here>
Or even worse, referring them onto someone that tutors on Airline Aptitude Tests.

I've been in Flight Training Schools where Staff have had to have this conversation with Students, it's very rare (I can only count the times on 1 hand but at the same time I haven't been involved in Training for any long period of time) and usually comes down to letting them know if they want to continue then the School will do it's best but it's likely it's going to cost them a lot more because of repeats etc... and the decision is ultimately on the Student.

One of the major reasons the Schools should be encouraged to do this more often applies more to those involved with VET-FEE/HECS as they have to be sending in reports to their relevant Education Org on pass rates etc... and having low rates would open them up to being audited which is never pleasant. I believe New Zealand has become more diligent in their initial intake testing over the last few years as I've seen a number of posts with Students sweating an interview and I think this was as a result of stricter limits on numbers and more oversight on pass rates. I've never personally seen a situation where they've been so dangerous that the School has downright said no but I have personally been involved in putting the foot down on Pilots that have worked for me and telling the Boss they're not stepping foot back in an Aircraft that is our/my responsibility and they should have been drummed out in training. It was definitely a black mark on their training org for future hires if it came down to looking for a reason to differentiate new hires.