PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sentinel R1 to be scrapped next year due to ‘obsolescence’ say MoD
Old 27th May 2020, 20:24
Misformonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fortissimo
I enjoyed teasing the IPT during the development phase on their traffic lights for, amongst other things, hitting ISD. It was 'green', of course. I asked what the confidence level was: "50%" came the reply. "So, it's actually red" says I. IPTL: "No, it's green!" Me: "That's red." Him: "No, it's green!" Me: "But at 50% it could be green or red, both would be right." Him: "Errrr…" Me: "Shall we call it Amber?" Him: "OK..."

50% confidence was indeed hopelessly wide of the mark, and the main processors had been specified using a standard that was obsolete before the printer ink had dried, which caused further delays. Still, it will be a shame to see it go. And trying to turn the 5 Sqn hangar back into something the Reds can use will probably cost enough to have funded the upgrade in the first place.
I've worked in DT's (new name for IPTs) and the use of Google random number generator is more reliable than some of the WAG assessment I've seen for IOC or FOC dates. Don't even ask about 3PE!