PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racist Saa
Thread: Racist Saa
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2003, 06:02
Cpt. Underpants

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Gimbal

Thanks for the sensible reply.

So how many AA pilots from outside the cadet course has SAA hired in the past 5 years, maybe +- 10
One day (I hope not) you may experience that "+- 10" numbers can mean 3 or 4 years longer as an F/O...

Cathay is...putting a guy in the right seat with only 200 hours!!
Not really the case. On average, the cadets spend 4 years as S/O's with at least 500 hours per year, and then have a sim session every four to six weeks. The ones that do pass muster (and it's not easy) are more than adequate. I fly with them on a regular basis, and yes, I have had some scares, but no more than the frights I have had with some of "D/E" S/O's from GA in SA, UK, Canada or RPT in Oz.

Hand on my heart, I would truthfully say that while some of them do lack handling skills, how would you have done in the right seat of a wide-body at "200 hours"? If memory serves me well, you would have just had those bright new wings pinned on your No. 1's and be reading the Part 1's for you next posting! Our cadets are also way ahead academically of their D/E brethren, and truly know the systems and procedures.

On a final note, we have about 12 (and counting) for cadets who have just made command - no slack was cut on the course, I assure you. And no, they don't have any restrictions on who they fly with!