Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
GS-Alpha is correct:
  1. Govt does not want to pay airlines for poltical reasons
  2. Govt imposes quarantine to 'make country safe'
  3. Airlines can choose to operate - they are not being restricted by govt
  4. If airlines choose not to operate - that is their choice
  5. If you break the quarantine you get fined
  6. If more cases develop, govt says "It must be your fault"
  7. Govt win both ways as airlines can operate and you can travel.
When we arrived in JNB on Feb 8th, we had forehead temperature test. Subsequently, we discover that Covid-19 can spread via asymptomatic carrier - so this was not much of an effective check. BUT it told me that the South African govt knew there was a problem. When we returned 19th Feb and, as of today, no temperature testing in UK intl airports. If you think the Guardian always attack the govt, my letter to them pointing out that the UK was at least three months behind the South Africans in recognising the airport problem, was not printed!

However, there was a letter from a person who arrived at LHR in March (I think it was) All pax given a contact form on the flight, asking for loads of detail and contact information. On arrival - no one to collect the form. She asked at Passport at Customs and of airport staff - no one knew of the form or what to do with it and no one collected it. She left the airport.

At long last the fallacy of the British being good in a crisis etcetera has met its Waterloo.