PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Forces Snowbirds CT-114 down in British Columbia
Old 22nd May 2020, 09:32
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
On reflection.

I won’t go back and edit my previous post but I think I should change my wording slightly.

I have rewatched the Kamloops and MJ videos and I think I was getting my thoughts a little muddled.

I believe the MJ pitch up was too aggressive. The Kamloops one probably shouldn’t be characterised as too aggressive but maybe over enthusiastic given the flight regime and I believe a turning component was introduced too soon.

As I have said previously I am no Tutor expert but my guess is that the aircraft was still sub 200 knots at the departure end of the runway. Even straight ahead flight would not have given long but a level or upwards vector could probably have been achieved after a brief assessment and before ejection.

A take off emergencies brief should cover actions on loss of thrust from any airfield. In this case with a single runway mine would have said something along the lines of ‘below 280 (this speed is aircraft specific but the Hawk will not be drastically different to the Tutor) up and away from the leader, fly straight ahead, try a relight, if it doesn’t look good out we go’.

Bear in mind the terrain can play a huge part in your thinking at Kamloops but if sufficient speed has been achieved to merit a turn back then it stands to reason that sufficient height would be available to clear the hills. That speed almost certainly wasn’t present in this instance.

So in summary I don’t think the pull up looked overly aggressive but I do think the turn was too eager. The turn is what produced the massive loss of upwards travel and ultimately the departure from controlled flight.

This is all just opinion of course, but a relatively informed one I think.

BV