PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas pauses Boeing 787, Airbus A321neoLR deliveries
Old 22nd May 2020, 06:37
Going Boeing

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The airlines are looking at the best way to resume flying as the borders come down and demand slowly picks up, management are now looking at which fleets (& quantity) they'll prepare for re-entry into service. Obviously the smaller, most efficient aircraft will be brought back first in the domestic operation but when international flights resume, the fuel efficient types such as the B787 & A350 stand out for long range ops with the A330 getting a look in for medium range pax/freight ops.

B777's have previously been considered quite fuel efficient but, with Delta, Air NZ & others retiring B777's permanently, that's a strong indicator that less efficient (& larger) types such as the A380 & B747 are TOAST. I wonder if Lil Napoleon ever regrets sacking his former Fleet Strategy Manager (EM) as his analysis was that the A380's should have been disposed of as quickly as possible without any more money being spent on them. If that plan had been actioned, then the huge amount of money spent on the refurbishment of the A380 upper decks (6) would not have been wasted.

The large surplus of B777's means that the new management of Virgin will not get much money for the four B773's that are owned by the airline, especially with the small freight doors.

My personal view is that the US, UK and a number of other countries have done such a poor job of managing the Virus that International flying will be very slow recovering with minimal international demand through the rest of 2020 - airlines will have to focus on domestic & neighbouring international destinations to restore their base market.

We have a long way to go yet.

Last edited by Going Boeing; 22nd May 2020 at 09:18.