PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Racist Saa
Thread: Racist Saa
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2003, 02:15
Gimbal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firstly, please guys do bear in mind my intention is definitely not to attack anybody(I would merely like to give a view from the otherside of the coin,otherwise this would just become an SAA bashing thread), I know from first hand experience whats it like on the other side of the fence, (as well as waiting patiently for that ever evasive call from recruiting), persevering until I got the opportunity to fly out my dream, and mind you I too spent hundreds of rands on numerous CVs before I got in (with thousands of hours). But one needs to also accept the hard truth, an AA canditate does have the upper hand in the interview room today. But as little as 10 years ago many of the guys who've posted replys above, too had the upper hand. When an individual of colour or even one of our females (always a pleasure having them around too, contrary to popular belief) for example wished they could one day fly Imps, mirages or maybe (heaven forbid) pumas, the then SAAF gave a blatant NO! nomatter how educated or enthusiastic they were. So this is just a small way in which SAA can right the past wrongs, by giving the offspring of these unfortunate individuals a slightly greater advantage in the interview room. (mind you every single canditate does go through the entire interview process fairly, with no pressure on the interviewers, and a beady eyed SAAPA rep present too).

Anyway I still don't see what all the fuss is about, after all, out of every 10 pilots hired by SAA only 2 (if that many) are AA candidates, the only place where theres a real difference, is during the cadet selection process. And today the most senior cadet has only been at SAA for +- 6 years. The only reason Kasac7 and others are finding it miserable/difficult is because all of his competition wrt getting in , are guys just like him, those whom have had a previously advantaged disposition, and have now flooded the market.

So how many AA pilots from outside the cadet course has SAA hired in the past 5 years, maybe +- 10 ? 'Ja', you say, 'but there aren't any guys/gals available to fill those slots...' Then I say, whats the whinging about? Because in those years almost a hundred new pilots were employed, so your chances were pretty much the same as it was in the 'bad ol' days'. And now you say
its not a question of not making the grade, but a question of reverse racism??

There are white guys at SAA who are about 2 years senior to me even though I started flying before them ( the reason being, I joined the SAAF and therefore took the scenic route). If it makes you feel any better!?

So things are not as bad as you may make it seem, lots of my white SAAF buddies (who were in the SAAF a year ahead or behind me on pupes course) have also atained that so called 'honeypot' which someone has so elloquently put, because they (just like me) didn't give up when the going got rough. So give the system a chance, you'll probably find that it might work for you.

"As it is, they are actively recruiting cadets as fast as they can (about 30/year) - not bad, considering the 60 week, AUD250 000 course. "- quoted from Capt.Undies...

Can you imagine the outcry if SAA started doing what Cathay is...putting a guy in the right seat with only 200 hours!!

(I will definitely shoot a cat !!! )