PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Forces Snowbirds CT-114 down in British Columbia
Old 21st May 2020, 06:20
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pchapman

The "initiates chute deployment" that Dune talks about for the Tutor, that in contrast is old school seat technology: The pilot is wearing the parchute on their back, and initiation just means having the ripcord pulled. After which a spring loaded pilot chute jumps out, hopefully doesn't catch in the burble behind the person for more than a split second, catches air, and drags the main chute out from the apex. Basically like a skydiver from the 1960s. That's going to take longer than any modern system that gets the canopy and lines stretched out by pretty much pyrotechnic means at slower speed.
Thanks for the info..

From what I'm reading and to give context IMHO it doesn't seem this Weber seat, as being described, appears to be significantly worse in terms of main chute deployment performance than the similar generation M.B. products - reason being that Dunes says the Weber seat on the Tutor is declared as a 0/60 whereas the M.B. Mk 4, with drogue gun/mortar and subsequent main chute extraction by the drogue, was declared as I recall it as a 0/90 seat, (I've seen 0/80 mentioned so my memory might be failing me..it certainly wasn't a 0/60 or anything like).

I know technology has moved on but I think any potential users of these things have always been aware that at low level it is possible to get outside the seat envelope very quickly.

BTW (?Dunes) was the teaching with the Weber seat on the Tutor to try and "beat the seat" with regard to the D- ring at low level? I understand that was the teaching on some early American seats.

Last edited by wiggy; 21st May 2020 at 06:56.