PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Forces Snowbirds CT-114 down in British Columbia
Old 20th May 2020, 10:53
walbut

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I am not going to speculate about the cause of the accident or worse (I think) pontificate about the aircrew's actions. What it brings home to me is a reminder of just how quick a perfectly normal, routine situation can change to one where you have to make an instant life or death decision to eject or not.

I remember attending a flight safety briefing given at Brough about 12 years ago by Pete 'Whizzer' Wilson who had had more than his fair share of this type of incident. The most powerful example he used in the briefing was a reconstruction/replay of the Tornado accident involving a BAe Warton crew at Squires Gate airport in Blackpool. The time between the aircraft starting to roll as they overshot and Paul Hopkins shouting "F***ing hell, get out" was remarkably short but if there has been even the slightest delay the accident would have had fatal consequences for the crew. In the event they both survived and the aircraft ended up on the sand, just past Blackpool pleasure beach.

Walbut