PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canadian Forces Snowbirds CT-114 down in British Columbia
Old 20th May 2020, 02:38
Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I instructed on this jet 35 years ago so let me set a few things straight (those things I can remember!). I also want to say there are those of us who have been there/done that and for those who are "armchair quarterbacks" ..... IT IS EASY TO CRITICIZE WHEN YOU ARE SITTING BEHIND A DESK DOING ZERO KNOTS. You have no idea how rapidly situations develop and how quickly you need to make split-second decisions of life and death. Everything below is pure speculation.
  • seat is a 0/60 seat (ground level but requires minimum 60 kts forward velocity to assist with 1-swing chute inflation). Optimal glide speed is 130 kts.
  • each ejection seat sequence is independent. First one to the handles is the 1st one out.
  • canopy shed is part of the process prior to going up the rails. The seat has a ram in case the canopy removal does not trigger so you can go through the canopy if it does not release.
  • there is no gyro-stabilization; straight rocket vector so a/c angle and trajectory is the most important factor in a successful ejection.
Ejection sequence:
  • pull the handles/slam your head back into the headrest as the belt tensioner will pull you back into the seat (you do not want your head down when the rocket fires due to neck injury).
  • canopy release fires; hopefully canopy separates (otherwise you are going though the canopy with the ram leading the way)
  • rocket seat initiates up the rails
  • seat drogue fires to provide drag to the seat to help with man/seat separation.
  • seat/man separator fires . This releases the 5-point harness and a "kicker" pushes the body/seat pack (which contains the survival equipment) out of the seat.
  • as you exit the seat a lanyard is attached to the harness which initiates chute deployment
I have looked at the video many times. It appears to me there was an engine issue (single engine jet) at low velocity at low altitude (my worst nightmare when I flew this type). Could be bird ingestion, compressor stall or engine failure.

Initial reaction (straight ahead zoom) was perfect but for some reason the pilot elected to commence a left turn. This is sub-optimal as in a single engine jet you want to maximize kinetic energy for potential energy (any turn reduces the amount of kinetic-to-potential energy you have). This jet was in a very low kinetic energy state to begin with so a wings level zoom was optimal.

Looking at the google map data provided by other it appears the left turn actually took the jet towards population whereas straight ahead was nothing but a river. This indicates to me he was not steering from population so what was his plan? I suspect he thought about a 180 degree gliding return back to the airport.

It appears to me as he hit the top of zoom he stalled the a/c initiating a right wing drop. At this point he needed to get the a/c level to best achieve successful ejection so rolled as best he could towards wings level. Unfortunately the vector at this point was well beyond the seat envelope. He is very fortunate to have survived while the passenger (who initiated fractionally later) was not so fortunate.