PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thunderbird Diamond SoCal Emergency Breakaway
Old 16th May 2020, 21:19
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Salute!

The "cracking the whip" aspect of multi-plane formations is a big player, especially for the third/fourth/fifth fellow on the echelon/wedge/diamond.
#3 reacted very quickly, but #6, or whoever the solo member was, honored the unrehearsed and rather abrupt minor wing drop by lead and #3's reaction. The two solo folks do not practice as many really close formation maneuvers as #2 and #3. Ditto for the Blues. Most of the six-ship passes are benign and for pictures, ceremonies, etc. I think the Reds and the Cannuck Snows do a lot more 6-ship + close stuff than the U.S. teams, from what I have seen from their performances.

I am sure that many here have been the leader or #5 in close formations and can add to my comments, huh? /sarc

My own experience was to use the private freq and narrate the show as a lead.. If I had to change the practice roll/pitch rates and such, it was a simple comment like "bit tighter", "more pull now", "rolling out", etc.

Oh well, I liked the solo dude's very quick rejoin and all's well for the tour they made to thank the medical folks and others.
=================
BTW, I was at the Sun and Fun show 6 or 7 years ago when the Blues leader got lower than planned/practiced and the #2 and #3 guys broke up and away. We thot it was a new maneuver. Later, that next day, the Leader asked to be relieved, and said he had also had a problem on a previous performance, as well.

The Birds and Blues and Arrows and Snows must have the utmost confidence in their leader and team members. The great formation flying is the easiest part of what they do.

Gums sends...

Last edited by gums; 16th May 2020 at 22:44. Reason: corrected flight numbers