PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PR Holders Verses Work Permits
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2020, 18:51
LLLQNH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mngmt mole
So, the first domino falls. I agree that the surreptitious way this was accomplished is in line with the normal cretinous way this company does things (that would be you Tom). Regardless, the likely events this week will probably include the following:

1) closure of bases
2) new COS20 for everyone. You can sign or resign. They did this in 99. I find it hard to believe they won't go down that road again.
3) new COS does not have a redundancy clause. Therefore be very careful about signing. It is likely they will cherry pick the pilots they want (eg: 747 pilots are bullet proof...but will be on the lower pay and benefits of the new COS).
4) likely will offer a meager redundancy package for the senior people. Once they have established numbers, they will then lay off based on point 3 above.

Do I have any specific knowledge...small bits and pieces. Do I have the big picture...no (and I hope I am wrong on every point). I can certainly tell you though that there are big changes coming this week or next. I think this first move by the company clearly shows they are going to handle it in their usual draconian and thoughtless fashion. Tom, I might remind you of the term "unintended consequence". You'll be learning that no doubt over the next while (but don't worry everyone, he'll be protect as a Swire prince...he'll be fine).
No doubt big changes are coming the world sadly has changed...

The bases; colleagues and I have been talking this over and non of us (we are all Hong Kong based) can see why the company would close the bases, there is argument over if they save the company money or not but the basings review carried out last year was adamant that bases saved the company money and were good for the operation! Forget the money aspect they afford tremendous operational flexibility and perhaps less of an issue now with the economy but offer a marvellous pilot recruitment and retention tool.

Not to mention the immediate cost of closing the bases would be huge at a time that all expenditure is being heavily scrutinised! So in all seriousness why would they close the bases? This is further supported by the fact we have pilots right now on conversion courses to go onto bases surely those would have been stopped if they were closing the bases (I take that back knowing this mob they probably forgot)

Yes they closed the cabin crew bases in USA and Canada but that is completely different.