PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 14 day quarantine
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2020, 17:51
infrequentflyer789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotLZ
There's also another side to the problem. How many countries grant admission to arrivals from the UK now, bar their own nationals who are mandated to quarantine after arrival from the UK? I can think of a good few who don't let in anyone other then their nationals, let alone arrivals from what sadly became one of the countries with the worst epidemic profile in Europe.
Just to add another side to the problem pile: insurance. Specifically travel insurance.

My annual policy came up for renewal recently, and basically it was impossible to renew unless I accepted no cover for any existing conditions, even those previously declared (or I could go through a new med screening, at a call centre that wasn't taking calls). SAFI cover was also gone, but worse was a new clause that COVID was not covered at all, for anything, not just cancellation or curtailment but no medical cover either. Not just no medical cover if you get it (or get it again) but no medical cover for anything related to COVID as a pre-existing condition. Since the long term effects of COVID are not known (which is why they won't cover it) and it does damage (by direct viral attack, by oxygen deprivation and by blood clots) to potentially _any_ organ, any of which could cause problems at any time, basically if you fall ill you won't be covered unless either you can prove it was solely down to something else or prove you have never had COVID. The very people who ought to feel safest travelling, those who have already had it, will have to travel effectively without medical cover.

I reckon these clauses, and the renewal refusals, will be temporary, 12 - 18 months when more is known about the global prevalence and the long term risks of having had it, and I think they'll be gone - but it is going to be a very tough couple of years for aviation and travel industries. I certainly don't see things bouncing back this summer, or winter.