PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA 747-400 Engine fire, Mauritius 23/11/03???
Old 24th Nov 2003, 05:36
Captain Airclues
Just another number

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

mad_dog

It is possible that the take-off could look different from the other side of the fence, depending on how far the aircraft is going. Public Transport flights have many safeguards built in to their performance figures. As no passengers or cargo are allowed on ferry flights, they are not deemed to be Public Transport, and therefore these safeguards are not accounted for. There is separate performance data for these flights. The crew might examine the far end of the runway rather more closely than they would normally.
The take-off procedure is to apply derated thrust on the symmetric engines and then gradually increase the thrust on the asymmetric live engine so that derated thrust is achieved by Vmcg. If a second engine fails then the performance becomes rather interesting. The clean-up will be commenced at a minimum height of 400ft, and could take a while. If I was in Mauritius I would certainly go to watch, but then I am a bit of a spotter.

youbreakemifixem

I've done many three-engine ferries, and have never yet needed to be met by the fire services.

Airclues