PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Name this Cornwall airfield please — Perranporth?
Old 7th May 2020, 23:52
zkarj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by POBJOY
It all fits the 'Perranporth' jigsaw in so much that you could actually access the runways quite easily.
Thanks POBJOY. I'm convinced now that it was Perranporth, by a combination of that's what I remembered it to be, plus your contemporary description fitting my memory also.

I've been scanning photos from the trip, which were few because I had only just (days before) inherited my first SLR from my brother. (I shudder to think how many photos I would take if we repeated the trip today!) All I have from that day is a few from the now defunct Cornwall Aero Park (which was closed for the winter), and a distant shot of a line of Nimrods at St. Mawgan. We did have a neat experience near St. Mawgan which I wish I could have captured on film. We were still trying to locate the base and the weather was pretty misty. We were driving along a straight bit of road when suddenly out of the mist up ahead loomed a Nimrod at what looked like a couple of hundred feet! It was quite obviously on approach and at that point we knew we were close!