PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Middle East majors to dominate international travel?
Old 6th May 2020, 01:13
grizzled

Received 79 Likes on 14 Posts
I’m going to dive right in and use this thread as an example of the problems with forums like this.

Either the OP was simply trying to wind people up by being nasty, or he/she has no sense of how to communicate online. (I suppose there is also chance the OP is suffering some sort of Covid-19 isolation related breakdown, which, if the OP confirms it, I’ll show more compassion.)

Some quotes from the thread-starter:

First, you (the OP) posed this question: Is it not obvious that the 3 vastly wealthy states are set to take over many of the world's long haul routes once the large state carriers elsewhere have shrunk dramatically?”

In the context of giving your own thoughts on the matter, you said, “I may be naive about this” and later, “I may be looking at this situation simplistically”. Both of those phrases served to indicate you were looking for input and discussion of points of view different to your own.

All sounded good and reasonable as a basis for a debate on the topic. But... as soon as people started responding with their own thoughts on the question, you turned into a noxious bully.

After the first four responses to your original post – all of which were simple, polite comments or thoughts related to your original question – you opened with: “Gotta love some of the head in the sand responses.

Next, after another seven or eight contributors added their thoughts – and reasonably debated each other’s points – your next post started by stating unequivocally what the answer to your original question was – then adding “Those are clear to anyone with a brain and ending with calling some of the contributors “Boneheads”.

In summary, I don’t understand how or why people who (one assumes) would not treat others this way in real life, turn into passive aggressive Pitbulls online. I’m losing confidence in the ability of these sorts of forums to survive if they are not built on a framework of reasonable, courteous discourse. After all, who wants to be insulted or bullied?