PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2020, 01:19
A320LGW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure all the train drivers on here are well intentioned, but why on earth do you all flock to a pilot forum to tell us how how much fun you have out on the tracks and how great a job it is?

You've found a career that worked, great, now why on earth go to a forum intended to those who chose a different career path?

We are aware of train driving but for many I think it's not a suitable opportunity. The time it all takes in itself from applying to actually getting an interview then even starting could be so long that an awful lot will be getting called back by their former airlines as things pick up late this year and going into next year.

I think it's a bit much to embark on a full career and go through all the retraining effort, is there a bond? if not then how would one feel morally by taking the place, building up the bill for the company and then being gone after the first phone call to get back flying? That is a place that could have gone to someone who would have made a career for life out of it. You took their dream job on the railways when you didn't even want it. If there is a bond then how would one feel having built up such a big bill to have to pay back, all because they had ants in their pants and couldn't sit still for a bit?

I accept the situation is drastic and unprecedented, but I think cautious steps are required going forward, nothing so major and certainly not so soon. The direction of the chat in this thread has taken a somewhat premature path.