PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China's expansionist strategy
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2020, 20:32
ex-fast-jets

Received 84 Likes on 22 Posts
I am beginning to dream of the Cold War as being so much more a world under control - albeit under a Mutually Assured Destruction mantra.

We now seem to have a world economically destroyed by Covid 19 - which, according to the media I read, started in China. Was it a biological experiment that went wrong? Or a transfer of a virus from wild creatures to humans - I don't know.

But we currently have a US President who disliked China for business reasons before Covid 19, and a situation in the USA where Covid 19 is having some pretty dramatic domestic, political and economic effects.

I have no idea where the November presidential elections will go - but history has many examples of where domestic problems are put aside by external visions for greater adventures.

I do worry that China, exercising its military and economic power over the South China Seas area, and a US President who I now consider to be less diplomatic than some of his predecessors and who just might feel the need to "Make America Great Again" by entering into conflict with China to justify a perceived (perhaps justified) belief that China deserves some retribution for the world-wide Covid 19 disaster, could start something that we really don't want, and which neither can control.

The rhetoric from both sides over the next several months might be interesting.

Let's hope it's only interesting.