PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2020, 19:13
realECMLdriver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi everyone, long time lurker and first time poster!

First of all let me say how sorry I am to hear what you're all going through at the moment. It must be dreadful and I can't begin to imagine how stressful this all is.

I got into train driving after university as the pilot idea slipped further and further into the realm of dreams. I worked for the railway while I was a student to pay for my tuition fees, so I already had a vague understanding what driving entailed. Definitely something I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone wishing to enter a new profession. After a few years of keeping a clean licence, no operational incidents etc I was lucky enough to be offered a job with what was then Virgin Trains East Coast (now LNER) and I can honestly say I've never looked back. We're currently on a 4 day, 35 hour week and where I'm based the basic salary is about £75k. Like my driver colleague above mentioned, with a little overtime then hitting 6 figures certainly isn't an impossibility. Add to that the final salary pension, free rail travel/parking benefits and it suddenly adds up to a good package. I do a little bit of overtime here and there and I got just under £91k last year. I understand nothing can beat the flying bug and that you haven't invested all that money to walk away and drive trains. Apart from the odd moment where I'm doing a prep (similar to your walk-arounds) and the sight of an A380 holding above the depot evokes a little jealousy, I can honestly say I can't be happier with this job and what it has done for my life.

I understand it won't appeal to all, but I'll happily reply to any PMs if you want any more information.

Best of luck to everyone.