PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Name this Cornwall airfield please — Perranporth?
Old 30th Apr 2020, 02:59
zkarj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Name this Cornwall airfield please — Perranporth?

Hello people.

I am trying to figure out which abandoned airfield I visited in Cornwall in December 1986. My brother and I were driving around Cornwall for a day and we tried to find an airfield which I remember as being Perranporth, but looking at it now I don't think it can have been. We were heading north and visited the town of Perranporth I think right after, so it was close, and I believe south of Perranporth town. The location of Perranporth airfield fits with this memory.

What I can recall is this. Going from a map we had driven coastward from a main road looking for it and discovered it only when we realised we were essentially on the runway! It was in very poor repair, with grass growing through the rough concrete, but clearly a runway. Looking on a contemporary map it seems like this cannot have been Perranporth unless it was subsequently massively overhauled, and I can find no mention of this online.

I can see a disused field between Portreath and Porthtowan, but looking at satellite imagery it seems in way too good a state of repair compared to what I remember. If I have the direction wrong, we did reach RAF St. Mawgan and I think that was the furthest north we got before returning to Plymouth.

This is all going from a 34 year old memory so I may well have key facts wrong, but would appreciate any info from anyone who's familiar with this area from that era.