PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monitor not Sleeping
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2020, 14:41
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
Maybe the BIOS settings are over-riding W10.
That'll be a first Shy! Something over-riding Windows!

For a while I've been looking to move from Windows (any shape/form of!!) to Linux so set up a dual-boot system with something tweaked in the BIOS - forget what changed the Boot order in BIOS to Linux which then gave me the Linux/W10 option - to enable that. Each time I selected Linux and then logged back off and on again, the option to choose came up. However, when I booted W10 it then took over and reset whatever it was I'd done the Boot order in BIOS back to the C drive (W10) and so I could not re-select Linux after rebooting. Sorry so vague but It right did me head in, it was so unbelievably annoying and I've had months of anger-management counselling just to get over the feelings of violent, psychotic anger it generated in me each time W10 "hijacked" the system and re-established its dominance, with a desire to smash the entire PC to smithereens each time it did it.

Solution? Take a spare HDD and load Linux on that and have a power splitter in one of the card bays so I physically deselect power from whichever HHD I don't want to boot from. So far, W10 has not figured out how to physically switch it's power supply back on .... but I bet the little Microsoft gremlins are plotting away in the background. It's only a matter of time.......

So far, Linux 99% of the time and only use Windows for a couple of progs which are really useful to me on the odd occasion. The rest of the time, it's Linux with libreOffice and a host of other progs. LibreOffice, incidentally, has a Windows version, both versions being more than happy to load/save from/to Office formats so guess what I've deleted? Office is no more!!!

Thinks - must tell my counsellor my treatment is working as I can now even talk about this .... and only exhibit minor post-rage tremmoring! How I hated Windows and all it's issues - like nearly losing everything after a W10 "update". Fortunately, I have a 3rd HDD used just for data but backed up to the system HDDs (and, not quite as regularly to a USB HDD). Not that I'm remotely paranoid you understand, but I do have a Marvin-like side to me!! And I did enjoy telling the MS guy who I contacted to try and save my system that, when he apologised that no, a clean wipe/install of W10 was the only solution, it would not be an issue as my data was safe on a different drive! When I explained he said "Off the record this, but if only other people did as you do with backups/mirrors!".

Gehenna, apologies for blatant thread-drift! Unlike Shy, I'd blame W10 and that, if you are setting things in W10, it's not remembering them. You had a W10 update recently? Don't forget, as my W10 mega-crash update showed, W10 went from working to not working after an "update" and, it seems, I was not alone and MS rolled out another update outside the monthly cycle or whatever they use to sort it out.

Anyway, good luck! Cheers, H 'n' H

Last edited by Hot 'n' High; 28th Apr 2020 at 14:50. Reason: Just remembered what I'd done to dual-boort!