PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who will survive this and be here in 6 months ?
Old 28th Apr 2020, 09:58
lederhosen

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I certainly hope we will get back in the air soon. If the virus has actually spread more widely and immunity in the population develops, then things could move quite quickly in a positive direction. But there is no clear evidence yet. I see the ONS has issued the latest UK mortality numbers for the week before last. The trend is not surprisingly bleak, 22,000 deaths versus an average of just over 10,000 for the corresponding week over the last five years and an increase of about 4,000 on the week before, which was already the worst this century. So things are by no means over, although with talk of the peak being passed it should improve over the coming weeks. I am actually more on the side of coming out of the restrictions sooner rather than later and it is perfectly plausible that once things improve the death rate may improve substantially as people who would otherwise have died have already passed away. But it is going to be a while before governments worldwide make coordinated decisions about this.