PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it really that hard...
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 16:50
tttoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantom Driver
Unfortunately , in these days of RVSM/RNP/ANP/TCAS etc etc and a crowded airspace at most international destinations , the situation does not lend itself easily to manual flying as we used to know it . Modern aircraft are designed to be flown by the automatics . Doing anything else seriously overloads the monitoring capabilities of the PM --trying to watch your flying like a hawk , making mode selections , handling ATC stuff / frequency changes while also looking out for other traffic . He's a busy boy / girl ..In addition , the flight data Big Brother is also busy reporting your every move back to base--in real time .The result ? Too many people have forgotten how to FLY .
I would say the number one problem is not airspace, congestion or whatever. It's company culture. In the right circumstances, hand flying in accordance with FDM etc. is possible. Not all flights are JFK - DBX. If flying by hand "seriously overloads" the PM, that points to a lack in performance from that PM and a lack in confidence in the skills of the PF. Why? Because neither of them regularly do it, and lack awareness. If a current commercial pilot can not fly a raw data approach in a working airplane, I'd say we have a serious problem. What will happen when the **** hits the fan and the A/P packs in? Modern aircraft are designed to be used at any appropriate automation level.

I'm lucky enough to work for a company where F/D and A/T off flying below RVSM is permitted and performed regularly, and just doing it every now and then makes a world of difference in your TLAR skills. And just to be clear, that doesn't make us cowboys, automation is used where appropriate.

As a final note, feel free to compile lists of incidents and accidents where under-reliance on automation was a factor, and those where over-reliance was a factor. I think everybody knows which one will be longer.