PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Shortage?
Thread: What Shortage?
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2020, 20:11
planesandthings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Con of the decade

Con of the decade.
Facts that the big schools kept selling, even as we speak, pilot shortages and increasing aircraft orders, Despite the fact it was all marketing and unproven. So many took the bait, most of them integrated.

They sold this for many years successfully, but now for one generation it has come all crashing down, one of my friends who has recently qualified in the last year with a 320 rating is looking at bankruptcy with £1000pm payment due for his 115k loan, others are looking at temporary career changes and one still in his training is not eligible for any state government support like universal credit as he is deemed to be a 'student', despite the fact there is no government support like universities, so who knows where he will be next. Ironically in recent years, bigger schools especially have labelled pilot training as an " an investment with substantial rewards", unfortunately unlike university, what will new graduates have to fall back on? Pilot training investments can truly fail.

For close peers and I, we're lucky for now and will return behind the controls as one of the first batch when this ends with a solvent small employer, but my thoughts are with those that have still been sold a dream despite years of this forum spelling out the reality, and are now experiencing a nightmare.