PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unemployed (as pilots) fATPL holders
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2020, 19:21
737TR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saddest story

Hello everyone!

Came across this thread while browsing pprune and wanted to share my story too to get a different point of view from inspiring people here. I started my integrated ATPL in October 2016 and finished by September 2019, took sometime for the exams as our batch struggled with the instructors being lazy and inexperienced but eventually finished the exams and passed with an overall score of 90%.

Went to flight training and aced all checks on first attempt in a short 8 months period including MCC. Was the top in my batch (others had extra hours, failed checks etc.) Got my license and applied to Flydubai’s second officer program (my father has connections there).

Sadly after 2 days the chief of training sending my papers, got a rejection letter due to my nationality. I come from a sanctioned country due to war but was born and raised in UAE, family has been here 35 years. No financial issues, no training issues whatsoever. Tried applying again on my own and going to the center to speak to someone, so humiliating that they had to send a guy from the finance section to meet me in the reception and whispered ‘you were rejected due to nationality’.

He asked me to provide him with my passport copy stating that my place of birth is Dubai plus a copy of my logbook stating that I flew here. Never heard anything from him again. Tried applying online and sent an email ‘begging’ them to accept as it is my only resort and technically my dream since childhood to join FDB.

Got back an email saying ‘sorry your country is sanctioned and we are not allowed to provide any training for personnel from your country’. How rude and disappointing to see that written in an email in plain words. Now it’s been more than 6 months of saying at home doing nothing and knowledge getting drained down the sink.

Every time I think of studying again or going over some stuff the image of that email pops in my head and drags me down the ground. Been trying to research around and found out this is discrimination (no joke). But who can resolve this? I guess no one. Been contacting some people and asking about this, no one ever faced this situation, it is very odd. Would like to know what do you guys think of this? Please share your prospective and enlighten me. Thank you all, wish you best of luck and happy landings.