PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for Pilots..
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2020, 10:41
sonicbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyfaring
sonicbum , you say a pilot with experience has zero chances outside their current role without qualifications - I wholly disagree. Does an Army Officer (climbing ranks without a degree) do nothing after they leave the forces? No they utilise their skill set much like Willie Walsh did after retiring his license.
No, that is not what I have written in my earlier post. I have written that it is unlikely that a pilot will be able to relocate in another business whilst maintaining the same socio-economical position he had in his former role, unless of course he had some previous background studies in college, university and so on.
An Army Officer gets a chance to learn many different skills during his career that he can easily "resell" outside his current role, such as - for example - IT skills, security, intelligence, weapons knowledge, etc..
An airline pilot has many valuable skills, but most of them are strictly related to flying an aircraft and what is immediately surrounding it, ie. ops control / flight planning, rostering.
Can't really see how that could be applicable in another sector.