PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for Pilots..
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2020, 10:19
PilotLZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agreed. I don't think either that aviation is going to collapse once and forever, even though there are certainly a couple of difficult years ahead. Difficult for the ones already in the game and even more so for the new joiners. Demand for pilots will come back and grow even larger in a couple of years as a combination of economic recovery and retirements. But we won't be quite there for at least another three years, I think.

So, my advice to future new joiners is... If you haven't started training yet - make sure you have some backup qualification to fall back upon before you invest ANY money into flying. Even if this means postponing flight training by a year or two. If you are fresh out of school, it is worth taking the time to do a proper degree in a well-established subject area. Think Engineering, Law, IT, Finance... If demand picks up while you are studying and you can afford some flying - you can start your modular route alongside your studies. If not - focus on your studies, get a job in the end and start saving. Doing your CPL entirely off your own back is a long way better than accumulating a huge amount of debt without a guaranteed quick start in the end. And I am led to believe that someone with actual professional experience and the maturity coming with it will be better positioned in an airline interview as compared to someone who has never done anything other than go to high school and to an ATO right after.

While the answer may be black and white for the youngsters, it's more complicated for the career changers past their mid-30s. By that time in life, one usually has many other major commitments. And it's down to the individual to decide on their very own course of action. I can only say that you would be best off keeping your present job until some certainty draws up. Whether or not you will be doing any flight training in parallel with it - that's not for me to say as it depends on one's cash reserves and their willingness to gamble it onto something with an uncertain outlook.

Anyways, best of luck to everyone. As long as one is happy with their decisions and does not regret anything - it's all well and good.