PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Media coverage of govt support for VA
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2020, 23:32
No Idea Either

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by topend3
Direct cash injections to Rex? When? #fakenews
multiple press releases from the Deputy PM Michael McCormack (Nats)

From the Aus Govt Grant Connect site;
COVID 19 Regional Airline Network Support Program - connect regional Australia to freight, medical testing, supplies and essential personnel. Domestic commercial RPT ops May apply.......198 million available.
COVID 19 Regional Airlines Funding Assistance - assist airlines operating services to regional and remote locations to continue to provide air services by providing financial cashflow where required......100 million available.

Then we have the Australian Airline Financial Relief Package - The measures are, waiver of fuel excise, waiver of Airservices chargeS, domestic aviation security charges rebate, offsetting screening costs, providing infrastructure support for screening requirements.........715 million available.

REX, a majority Singapore owned company, already has subsidised routes and now has some of this cash available. I don’t begrudge that. We need viable air services, especially in the bush. Thats where I started, that’s where most of you started. But all this talk of not supporting foreign company’s, ie VA, ****s me. The banks are foreign, the insurance company’s are foreign, the petrol companies are foreign, FFS the big Australian BHP is foreign. An article this morning stats ‘there is no food shortage in Australia! 70% of our food is exported.’ The intent being we just stop exporting it and we’ve got heaps. I went to the Dept Ag site to read it. Looked up the first ( and largest) fresh food producer it listed....guess what....foreign owned. Do you think they are actually going to restrict produce back to the parent company’s country of origin.
Bit of a rant, sorry, just trying to set the record straight. The COVID crisis has turned everything on its head. Think about the country in 1 or 5 years time. Think about the stifled growth. It’s not about VA or QF or REX, it’s about all 25 million of us trying to scratch out a living and try and leave the place a bit better for our kids.

Rant over, #fake fake news