PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Person AOC?
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2020, 05:19
Progressive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fita nd Proper Person

Originally Posted by outnabout
Pinky the Pilot (and others):
Read the full reg - it states "hire or reward".
Send a copy of a pic taken from your aircraft to the local newspaper, they publish it and fling you a free copy in thanks. No money changes hands, but the free newspaper is counted as "reward".
Are we paranoid? Probably, and I will remain that way until either I see a definition of "fit and proper person", or I see that reg (and related power) removed from the legislation.
"Fit and Proper person" is a common legal term used extensively in areas other than aviation where a license is required to practice (law, real estate, customs, council rangers), like many legal terms it has varying definitions depending on the legal context (ie a fit and proper person to practice law (which involves understanding the law and acting ethically in the clients interests) may not be a fit and proper person to pilot an aircraft (due to an arrogant disregard for the law when applied to oneself)). Given the genuine ambiguity of the concept CASA actually does a pretty good job of guiding its staff on the application of "Fit and Proper Person" decisions devoting an entire appendix of the enforcement manual https://www.casa.gov.au/publications...rcement-manual to the topic.