PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Project Sunrise
Thread: Project Sunrise
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2020, 05:09
dr dre

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts
Originally Posted by crosscutter
All I would add is in my interpretation:
there won’t be an indefinite stand down for a fleet. This is because the stand down (as opposed to other methods of managing a surplus) applies while the aircraft don’t fly. So For example, if the A380 never flew again the stand down could only apply for as long as the a380s were still parked and operational in QF colours. As soon as they were sold or discarded a RIN must occur and the stand down ends. I doubt QF would keep an aircraft just to avoid redundancy payouts.

It explains the lack of announcements regarding the 747, when everyone knows it has almost no chance of further operations. At the very least the waters are very muddy on this issue.
Keeping a 747 or 380 on the books would be cheaper than retraining all their pilots onto other fleets, and then the subsequent residual back bids, 2/3rds of LH would be getting retrained at the same time. And with those fleets barely flying as it is how can any retraining occur?

Originally Posted by normanton
Long periods of stand down, no redundancy payments, and lots of pilots taking LWOP, taking an alternative career, or pulling the pin and retiring early.

What a year 2020 will be.
Not just this year, this'll go on for quite a few. Although I do believe all current pilots will have the opportunity to return to something, it will throw up the issue of retraining a large group of pilots who have spent quite a few years out of the flight deck.