PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Who will survive this and be here in 6 months ?
Old 12th Apr 2020, 15:38
b1lanc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a lot different in the northeast - nightly news barrage on death counts (pick your channel), lines at some supermarkets and then one way aisles and blocks to stand on in the stores. Parks closed, but you can walk around the block - many people doing that. And the governor of NY and mayor of NYC are arguing about closing schools for the rest of the calendar year - so I guess you can add cities to the list of who would have to agree.

On the flip side, the shelves in the local super are starting to look full again (except TP). Everyone is teleworking - a completely foreign concept to many employers and employees. That said, I think people are getting somewhat used to it (I home-officed in the 90's and 00's and loved it) and it will reduce the need/urge to travel for business. Try to buy a webcam - you can't. I'm getting a rebate from my auto insurer because of lack of driving and less chance of an accident - unthinkable a couple of months ago.

It will be a slow build up to fill aircraft and increase flights. Even my last trip to the west in late January before Covid restrictions were in place, I was on half full aircraft in deserted main hubs at prime Mon-Fri business travel hours. AA alone has cut flights at the three metro NYC airports from 271 last April to 13 now. I simply don't see a quick recovery regardless of what states or fed or city gov'ts allow/encourage. Some regional airports could lose service completely. Even with low fuel costs, the airlines will be hard pressed to offer inexpensive fares at the outset and many people (small business employees who would have traveled on vacation) simply will not have the funds to take that trip they had planned.