PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Curious accidental ejection Rafale
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2020, 17:37
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy Street
"Could not happen" is always going to be too ambitious a statement where people are involved. People are forever finding new and often convoluted ways to screw up despite the very best efforts of other people to design systems that stop them screwing up. So yes, it could happen in the modern RAF. Is it likely? I don't know. I'd say the Tutor midair (arthritic pilot allowed to fly aerobatic aircraft despite being unable to look out properly), Cunningham ejection (ill-advised seat maintenance regime, inappropriate time pressures leading to incorrect harness routing and moving seat pins at high speed during landing roll), Voyager negative-g incident (unsecured loose article), Catterick Puma crash (gross indiscipline), GR4 Moray Firth midair (not the direct cause, but still of concern: staff WSO afraid of medium level flight), Reds engineer killed at Valley (inadequate crew training or inappropriate designation of supernumerary crew, take your pick) - and those are just off the top of my head - all indicate that RAF people have shown themselves more than capable of making disastrous mistakes and misjudgements in recent memory.

[Coincidental or not, rather a lot of those killed or injured in that list were people to whom the RAF owed a special duty of care: air cadets, students and passengers.]
Good post ES. To those who consider this accident exhibits :-

negligence, disobedience, idiocy, farce.
I would counter no doubt, but then so did many in Easy Street's list and to which I would add the grand-daddy of them all, Chinook ZD576 on the Mull of Kintyre. The

negligence, disobedience, idiocy, farce.
there of course was exhibited by RAF Very Senior Officers. Their illegal actions have been the subject of an establishment cover up ever since. No doubt those involved in the OP accident will face investigation and possible subsequent action, being lower down in the food chain.