PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan vs VA
Thread: Alan vs VA
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2020, 14:11
AerialPerspective

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by longjohn
There is a big difference between urging strong competitors like Banks and supermarkets to co-operate and propping up businesses which were in a perilous state BEFORE Coronavirus. COVID19 should not be an excuse to save failed businesses any more than it should be an excuse for an unregulated monopoly.

The shareholders of VA have allowed their business to be mismanaged to the point where it is today. I have no sympathy for them.

I have enormous sympathy for the 10,000 staff who will suffer as a result of their lack of leadership. This is where the anger should be directed.

As a taxpayer, I would be appalled to see Branson, who already profiteered enormously from VirginBlue (to the detriment of yours and my superannuation), be supported by the Australian Government. Same goes for the rest of the shareholders.

The Government need a solution which minimises job losses, preserves entitlements and avoids propping up failed investments by foreign billionaires and airlines.

Time for leadership
The same Branson who is being castigated from the UK House of Commons to the High Street in the UK at the moment for refusing to pay his stood down (without pay apparently) Virgin Atlantic staff even though some enterprising chap has worked out that the interest on his fortune in just 6 months would accrue more than what it would take to pay them their full wage.

A loudmouthed, BS artist... I remember him dancing on the grave of AN and also having the gall to stand up and make out the industry was nothing before he came and saved us.

His Oz outfit probably had some sort of basic profitability but was never a superstar of the business world until 2010 and then it was "We are the Borgh, you will be assimilated, your culture and your finances (and your J class cabin) will adapt to service me, resistance is futile" and thus it began, the downward slide.

Love Qantas or hate it, agree with the management decisions or the management or not, it makes a profit and Virgin don't. I wish there was a way we could save the staff but let the rest collapse... maybe pick another successful airline like Alliance and offer them the $1.4bn or even $2b and the staff and provide tax breaks for them to become the 'other' carrier. They could get the VA fleet or what they wanted of it, for $1 when the staff are safely ensconced at QQ.

Oops... did I misspell Borg LOL... (apologies to Gene Roddenberry)...