PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career advice for Pilots..
View Single Post
Old 1st Apr 2020, 07:04
Northern Monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dctPub
Seriously? I've only briefly worked in IT after uni but all those who "persevered" in the industry work 9-5, sit in traffic both ways. Time to enjoy yourself? On the weekend when everyone else is off too?
None of my previous colleagues have 12-15 days off a month, 3-5 days off in a row. I work way less and enjoy myself a lot more. The ones who are paid on par with me are all contractors and guess what? They have been laid off before any pilots.

If I had my time again I would not change a thing. Even if that means I am not going to be employed as a pilot for the next 3-10 years.

Edit: I love the boomers who lived through THE BEST possible time in human history to be a pilot and say they would do something else instead. Absolutely deluded that they would earn even close to what they have.
Agree with all the above.

Where else am I going to find 10-15 days off per month whilst avoiding the nightmare of commuting during rush hour and whilst getting plenty of downtime in the week when everything is quieter? I am also far more involved as a Dad than I would be in virtually any other 9-5 job. I look at some of my friends and they barely see their kids at all during the week, leaving for work at the crack of dawn and getting back after bed time.

The job has plenty of stresses and downsides which we are all too familiar with, but time off and time at home isn't one of them.