PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan vs VA
Thread: Alan vs VA
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2020, 03:04
777Nine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As much as I dislike the unlikable character that is Alan Joyce, from a neutral's perspective I can see his point. Is it in the taxpayer's interest to bail out a company that simply couldn't make money for the past 8 years? Do they make a good business case? In times of economic Armageddon, it has a cleansing effect. That is, the companies were hanging by a thread were always going to be wiped out. I am definitely not against VA and I really am fond of the brand, but as a company I'm not sure it's worth saving. Why should the taxpayer bail out a company owned by foreign investors? If it was a 100% Australian owned company, then perhaps it would be worth saving. But what, just so that the investors can cover their losses and maybe it will limp along? I would much rather the government helps the employees that have been loyal to the company to this point and ensure that they have some sort of future.

I really don't want to see Virgin go or the employees suffer from this, but I think sensible decisions are required.

As for AJ, I hope that the government doesn't give him a cent.